Odisha Forest Development Corporation Limited (OFDC) came into being with effect from 14.11.1990 by merger of all forest corporations of the state. Odisha Forest Corporation (1962), its subsidiary Odisha Composite Board (1983), Similipahar Forest Development Corporation Limited (1979) and Odisha Plantation Development Corporation Limited (1985) on merger were renamed OFDC Ltd.
- To exploit the state forest resources scientifically
- To ensure fair wages to forest labourers
- To promote forest based industries in the state
- To provide sufficient revenue to Govt.
- Trade of salvage timber/firewood
- Trade of processed and phal Kendu leaves
- Collection and trade of Salseed directly or through Raw Material Procurer (RMP)
- Regulate the distribution of firewood, long Bamboo and other small timbers to local people
- Monitor Bamboo operation directly or through RMP
- Trade of cashew nut and Rubber harvested through plantation
- Collection, Processing and trade of Honey and few Non timber Forest Product (NTFP) items
The corporation has a Board of Directors headed by a whole time chairman. There are 12 Directors in the Board. In the corporate office the Chairman cum Managing Director (CMD) is assisted by three Directors - Director (Commercial) and Director (Operation) from the IFS cadre and Director (Finance) from OFS (S). There is presently one General Manager- General Manager (Hqrs.). One qualified company Secretary is also available.
In the field, there are four General Managers one for each Bhubaneswar, Bolangir, Sambalpur and Berhampur zones. GMs in the field are assisted by Divisional Managers in charge of thirteen Commercial cum KL divisions and seven Commercial divisions.
The total staff strength at present of the organisation is 4371 while the approved cadre strength is 3011 and hence there are total 1360 no of surplus staffs in the corporation. Besides, there are 148 casual workers on piece meal basis.. Voluntary Retirement Scheme (VRS) approved by the Public Enterprise Department with DFID assistance has been introduced during 2001-02 and so far 423 employee have retired under the scheme. The 2nd round of VRS applications ( 38) are under process.