INTEGRATED BIODIESEL PLANT
What is Biodisel
Biodiesel is an alternative to petroleum-based diesel fuel made from renewable. Resources such as vegetable oils, animal fats, or algae made from vegetable oil, alcohol and a catalyst, through trans-esterification. The only by product, glycerin, has numerous industrial uses it has very similar combustion properties to petroleum diesel.
Benefits of Bio-Diesel
- It is renewable
- It has positive environmental benefits: Biodiesel reduces emissions of carbon monoxide (CO) by approximately 50% and carbon dioxide by 78.45% on a net basis because the carbon in biodiesel. It contains fewer aromatic hydrocarbons benzofluoranthene: 56% reduction; Benzopyrenes: 71% reduction. It also eliminates sulfur emission (SO2) because Biodiesel does not include sulfur. Biodiesel reduces by as much as 65% the emission of particulates (small particles of solid combustion products).
- Bio-diesel has positive balance ratio: Energy balance ratio: - it is the comparison of the energy stored in the fuel to the energy required to perform the process and distribute that fuel. Energy balance ratio of bio-diesel is2.5 to 1.0(i.e. a positive value) but incase of conventional diesel it is a negative value.
- A standard bio- diesel (20% bio product 80% diesel) can reduce
- Hydrocarbon by 14%
- Carbon monoxide by 9%
- Particulate matter by 8% sulphate by 20%
- PAH (Polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbon) by 13.50%
- Sulphate by 20%
- Flash point of bio- diesel is very high (.150 degree C) in comparison to conventional petrol-diesel (60degree C .
Integrated Biodiesel Plant is in an integrated unit for production of Biodiesel starting from extraction to trans-esterification.
The Odisha forest development corporation has installed one integrated Biodiesel plant in plot no 217/218, satyanagar, Bhubaneswar in the premises of D.M, BBSR and is commissioned on 10-10-2006. The project is sponsored by Dep. Of science and technology, Govt of India with technical support from I.I.T New Delhi & O.U.A.T, Bhubaneswar to promote the production and utilization of Bio-diesel from non edible seeds like Karanja,(porgania pinnale) Jatropha seed and its application in Agriculture through farmers participations in own . It is installed by M/S Peganus Technologies, New Delhi & has obtained license from.
- Bhubaneswar Municipal Corporation
- Odisha pollution control board
- Excise Dept. of Odisha
The plant became operational after inauguration of the same by the chief secretary of Odisha on 5.2.07
There are four Units in the integrated Bio-Diesel Plant that is:
- Oil extraction unit
- Filtration unit
- Trans- esterification unit
- Boiler unit
Biodiesel produced in the IBP has the following fuel properties
|Viscosity at 40 C Cst
|Flash Point in C
|Cloud Point C
Salient Features of the IBP
- It is a completely integrated unit for Biodiesel production
- Semi Automatic system
- Low cost technology
- Simple in operation
Director ( Operation )
College of Agricultural Engineering and Technology